Skegness people urged to stay safe this Valentine's Day to prevent house fires

Profile image for MarieW

By MarieW | Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:59

SKEGNESS people are being reminded to make sure the only fires this Valentine's Day are the ones in their hearts.

As couples across Lincolnshire prepare for a romantic evening tomorrow, fire prevention experts have issued advice to help people keep the flame alive, safely.

Attempts at fine dining can be dangerous if the cook becomes distracted, either through passion or alcohol. And candles, while very romantic, could seriously spoil the mood if they set light to their surroundings.

Debbie Robinson, deputy community fire safety manager, said: "We don't want to dampen the mood, we just want to make sure that the only thing that's burning is your passion, not your home.

"The number of people using candles and cooking to create a romantic atmosphere can increase at this time of year, but there's no bigger turn-off than finding your house on fire - and most fires originate in the kitchen."

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue responded to 319 accidental house fires last year. More than half of these started in the kitchen. Eight were caused by candles.

Here's Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue's safety advice:

Candles

• Always use a proper heat-resistant candleholder, and fit the candle in firmly.

• Place candles in a draught-free area, away from curtains, furniture and other flammable surfaces.

• Never place candles directly on televisions or other polished surfaces.

• Never leave candles unattended, or go to sleep while they are lit.

• Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.

• Never attempt to move a candle once it is lit.

• Always use a candlesnuffer, or an unturned metal spoon to extinguish the candle and allow it to cool before moving it.

Cooking

• Don't leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the room.

• Don't use matches or lighters to light gas cookers.

• Turn saucepan handles so they don't stick out from the hob or hang over another hot ring.

• Take care late at night. It's easy to be careless when you're tired or if you've been drinking.

Smoke alarms

• Ensure you have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home to give you an early warning to a fire. Remember to check it once a week to ensure that it is working.

      

Comments

       
max 4000 characters
        
   

Search for...

       
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min rent is bigger than Max rent